Thursday, August 21, 2008

And then we headed to Nairobi...

When we got to Nairobi, our bags were already collected for us by some porters because we took so long getting through customs. Confession: I doubled back and gave Neesha my yellow fever immunization card so she could get through because she hadnt gotten vaccinated. And it worked perfectly! Who is comforted by that? Not me.
It was then that i discovered that the guys in Nimule who had paid me in "Ugandan shillings" had actually paid me in amusement park tokens and south african rands. The baggage handlers thought this was hilarious, because really how blind do you have to be not to notice that you are being paid in giant gold coins saying "TOKEN ADMITS ONE PER RIDE". Pretty blind.
We got in a cab (how we stuffed the luggage in the trunk i will never know) and headed to the Fairview Hotel-the incredibly swanky hotel that we first had drinks at in June. Its one of the nicest hotels in Nairobi, almost its own little island of landscaping, waterfalls and luxury. Neesha and I ran to our room, opened the door and almost fainted with shock and delight. We had pretty much forgotten that real beds, television sets, order in pizza and bathtubs existed. I had 100% forgotten about hot showers, and when i lept into the shower stall and hot water came out I almost died. The best part was that it had a negligable drain so water filled up the stall and soaked the grime out of my feet. After that, and one additional foot bath with Neesha, the two of us headed down to the patio. We ordered mixed fruit drinks and she bought tirramisue and I got ice cream! The woman working at the cafe couldnt understand my enthusiasm until I explained that in Sudan, they didnt have fresh dairy or refridgeration, let alone the capacity to have ice cream. She was astonished, which I found kind of amusing, living less than an hours plane ride away from it. 
George and Teddy showed up and we ended up getting a fresh pizza as well. We hung out in our rooms, tooled around at the gift store, watched the debate about the Paris Hilton/John McCain fiasco and then went to dinner where i had Chicken Schnitzle, just because our waiter called it "Chicken schnizzle" which i found endlessly amusing. Ed went and picked up Annie and Elizabeth, and I passed out in bed. 
And the next day started the safari!

No comments: