Monday, August 4, 2008

Last Day

Ok fine. So I'm halfassing this Kahn thing. I wrote one really good one (on my original topic-so thats not actually all that impressive), one on disarmament (which is just confusing) and then....nothing! No third one. Not yet. I've decided that thanks to the wonders of time differences, I can actually get away with not sending the essays in until Tuesday morning at 7am. Total ah-ha! moment. (which still came too late to save me-as all of you can attest to-from my quasi-meltdown but I guess you cant have everything.)

Now, it is first thing in the morning and Ed wants to leave by noon and.....no one is packed. None of the computers are backed up and the DVDs he wanted to leave arent burned. Additionally, he has lost his mind, and thinks that we will be able to fit seven people and seven people's worth of luggage in a tiny, SUV model (rather than safari vehicle model-i'm sure theres actually terms differentiating these two but damned if i know them) Toyota Land Crusier. I'm all about Toyota. We know this. But Iga, Neesha, Ed, Moses (who is, by the way, a full grown man), Teddy, George, and me, in addition to eight thousand pounds of luggage (Teddy and Ed alone had six bags when they got here) are just not going to fit. Plus, I want Jerome to come with us to Juba. He's part of the team. He's suppose to come.
Ed is paranoid that if we take the Pajero (we fixed the breaks-mostly-but the booster is shot, and we just got our gas tank re-welded-kind of) it will literally fall apart in tiny pieces on the road. I pointed out that the Juba road is the only road that hasnt broken our car yet, and if the Pajero is going to make it to Uganda (incidentally in the same direction as Juba), it needs to be able to make it to Juba and back, as those are the best roads in EES. We may end up taking the other health land cruiser once Ed comes to his senses and realizes that we wont fit everything in the trunk of the car, but thats all pretty up in the air.

I got my skirts and everything back from Ken the tailor yesterday. He is a very good tailor, very professional and everything looks great. Unfortunately-not everything is exactly what we asked for. I, for example, am now the (not so) proud owner of a pair of exotic African print culottes. It was suppose to be a skirt. Never in my life have I uttered the words "I want to own exotic African culottes-especially if you can make them look like the bastard child of genie pants and bermuda shorts." But thats what I own. And to make matters infinately worse-they come up to my waist. So bad.
On the upside, I now own an entire skirt/shirt combo which I wasnt expecting either. And two simple skirts. You win some, you lose some, and I've decided to make friends with a tailor in Jersey who can hopefully....tweak...some of these oddities I am returning with.
I also bought Aliza what I thought was a scarf (oops!) and turned out to be a wrap skirt cloth. Its really nice though and she would look great in it, so I'm probably going to force it on her anyway. Along with a head scarf swatch as an incentive.
And then, I excrutiatingly overpaid for two tin cups (so Sudanese)-10 pounds instead of 1. This is why I hate Arabs. (just kidding) (kind of). And, at long last, I got my Lobalua Hills Bar tee shirt from Charles (and one for George) thanks to Jerome's ability to ask nicely. It smells like men's cologne and it is currently what I am wearing over an extremely not clean skirt since I havent showered since our entire bathroom decided to fall apart THE DAY BEFORE WE LEFT. We have a pool of stagnant water sitting in the shower basin, and the toilet seat fell off on Neesha (at least, thats what it sounded like at 6 in the morning).

I guess I should probably stop procrastinating now. More later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, why not mine your blog for a kahn essay? Alcohol use and abuse might be ok, there is a lot you can use.
I think you will really enjoy the safari, and I am so glad you love the Sudan!

smisch said...

i second mary liz--you can totally find something in the blog that will help you out.

LOVE YOU

Unknown said...

Love you! I know you'll have a great time on safari!

Tell George a big thanks for keeping the Internet up and running!

Mom